Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Discussions » Tshwane electricity - tenant in arrears

Discussions relating to property rental
2010/07/29 02:04:19 PM

Nico
Nico
I have a tenant who moved out 1 month after moving in (on a 12 month contract). She repainted the property in her own colours, doing a very messy job of it (without my consent). She also caused other damage, such as a broken bedroom door, a broken gate and a broken bathroom tap.

Altogether the damages is much higher than her deposit. My problem now is that she's about R1600 in arrears on her electricity bill, and the municipality refuses to transfer the electricity to the new tenant's name until the previous tenant paid her bill. Also, they now threaten to transfer her arrears bill to my name.

Any advise? Can I pay the bill now, and claim what I paid back from her? If I can, should I include both the bill and my proof-of-payment in the letter of arrears (assuming I can send one to her), and can I blacklist her if she doesn't pay?

Can I include the rest of the repair costs in the letter of demand? The repair costs are high, as she repainted the whole unit, including door frames, window sills, and almost all the walls. The only places she didn't paint was where she couldn't reach.
2010/08/02 07:59:07 AM

daleen
daleen
We have a lot of problems with the City of Tshwane and the electricity bills. They usually don't cut the electricity for flats and townhouses thus we don't know that the tenant did not pay the electricity and is in arrears. They will not connect the electricity on the new tenants name before the previous tenants account has been paid up. They also cut the electricity of the tenants (who's account is paid up) for the arrears of the owner on his taxes. This is quite unfair to me - the tenant has nothing to do with the owners rates! I really don't know how to handle this!
2010/08/03 01:12:35 PM

Nico
Nico
I agree that it is very unfair, but my question remains:

Can I pay the bill on behalf of my ex-tenant,

Can I send her a letter of demand for the bill.

Anyone with legal knowledge about this?
2010/08/07 09:14:14 PM

Marc Lunau
Marc Lunau
Never ever have any services account in the name of your tenant. Owner remains liable anyway. Make sure you get the bills and pass to tenant. If tenant does not pay you know the following month and can take action.

--
Investor and Property Manager with value add solutions

www.houses4rent.co.za
2010/08/10 10:18:12 AM

Michelle
Michelle
Nico, yes you should pay the electricity on behalf of the tenant and the invoice the tenant direct to recover the cost. If the tenant fails to pay, send a letter of demand and lastly you may blacklist the tenant after 20 business days if she remains in arrears. In terms of the RHA the tenant is liable for the rent, damages and all additional cost (such as electricity) under the lease. The deposit can be used to recover these monies due, but should the deposit not cover the full amount outstanding - you have the right to demand payment.
2010/09/28 11:54:40 AM

teresap989
teresap989
daleen wrote:
We have a lot of problems with the City of Tshwane and the electricity bills. They usually don't cut the electricity for flats and townhouses thus we don't know that the tenant did not pay the electricity and is in arrears. They will not connect the electricity on the new tenants name before the previous tenants account has been paid up. They also cut the electricity of the tenants (who's account is paid up) for the arrears of the owner on his taxes. This is quite unfair to me - the tenant has nothing to do with the owners rates! I really don't know how to handle this!

Thank you so much for the post. It's really informative!

2010/10/07 12:55:49 PM

apieter01
apieter01
I advise to install prepaid electricity meters. The R1800 will save you plenty of trouble. PrepaidMeters provide 'private' submeters that allow you to become the vendor.
2010/12/15 08:11:36 AM

Jcilliers
Jcilliers
Hi there, i am in the same boat. For some reason, if the owner pays the rates and taxes, my tenant didnt paid a cent for W+L, and it was on his name. Well, when he moved out, he said he didnt have money to pay, and the amount was R7500. He now made an arragement to pay a certain amount per month. That is really crazy. He said in the house not paying anything for MONTHS.

On top of this, the rule that debt defaults to the owner is really silly. I know of someone who took the w+l people to court, and won actually, because the bill wasnt from their usage !

Crazy how people take rides, really.

Thanks for the note on, never put anything on a tenants name, that is a good rule !
2011/01/01 10:52:57 PM

Marc Lunau
Marc Lunau
>I know of someone who took the w+l people to court, and won actually, because the bill wasnt from their usage !

Can you explain as I do not understand it, but would love to see how the owner got out of his liability to the council.

--
Investor and Property Manager with value add solutions

www.houses4rent.co.za

Home » Discussions » Tshwane electricity - tenant in arrears

General Disclaimer
The information contained on the web pages of the TPN Credit Bureau (“TPN”) website is provided for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The opinions expressed on the TPN forum is the view of the subscriber and does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of TPN nor is TPN’s failure to remove any particular view of such subscriber to be construed in any shape or format to be an endorsement or acceptance of such posting. Accordingly TPN, its web administrators and its employees do not accept or take any responsibility whatsoever for any loss, whether direct, indirect or consequential, which may arise from reliance on information contained on the TPN website or forum and actions or transactions resulting therefrom.