Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Discussions » Death of new tenant

Discussions relating to property rental
2015/05/29 12:32:14 PM

Pauline
Pauline
Hi,
Advice please. A new tenant to move in, lease signed, deposit paid, rent paid etc.
The tenant dies before actually taking occupation but by this time the agent has paid over the rent to the landlord.
Does the landlord have a claim on first month's rent - or other rent further - or does he have to pay back into the tenants account?
2015/08/08 08:15:22 AM

Marc Lunau
Marc Lunau
Wow, that sounds a bit tricky and I do not know what the law says. I would say a contract is a contract. The deceased estate will have to carry on affairs and the lease will be null and void on death. However, the landlord can claim loss of income I suppose. The landlord should immediately try to find a new tenant to mitigate/minimise losses. If a new tenant can be found before the first rent is used up he should refund a pro-rata rent amount as he should not get rent twice for an overlapping period. It depends a lot on time lines I guess, but I am no lawyer. How did it end by now as its 2m later?

--
Global Property Investor and Property Manager with value add solutions

www.houses4rent.co.za

Home » Discussions » Death of new tenant

General Disclaimer
The information contained on the web pages of the TPN Credit Bureau (“TPN”) website is provided for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The opinions expressed on the TPN forum is the view of the subscriber and does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of TPN nor is TPN’s failure to remove any particular view of such subscriber to be construed in any shape or format to be an endorsement or acceptance of such posting. Accordingly TPN, its web administrators and its employees do not accept or take any responsibility whatsoever for any loss, whether direct, indirect or consequential, which may arise from reliance on information contained on the TPN website or forum and actions or transactions resulting therefrom.