Home"Tenant from Hell" Stories

Stories which will frighten even the most hardened agent.

Tenant threatening squatter rights

Pereira03
Pereira03

2018/10/15
Pereira03
Pereira03
I had a couple move into my garden flat in April 2017. My first mistake was being too trustworthy to begin with. When they first came to view, they were very excited and really wanted the place and were really eager to sign the lease. The next day they brought the "deposit" and were ready to sign. I emphasized to them that that installment would be the deposit and that their rent would be due the day that they moved in. That was mistake number 1. I should not have let them sign a lease without the deposit and rental. The day they moved in, they put less than half the rental into my account and pleaded that I use their initial installment as rental and that smaller amount towards their deposit. They said that it has really been a difficult time with all the costs of moving into a new place. The trustworthy and lenient person I am fell immediately into this trap that a year and a half later has left me absolutely desperate. I am still waiting for a deposit and have been listening to excuse after excuse. A few months ago, I had to use what ever deposit that there was to pay for outstanding rent which they never replaced. This month they short paid once more. We started off in good terms but now we don't see eye to eye on anything. They are get drunk and shout obsenities, their dogs are destructive and causing such stress that I can barely sleep at night. Last week I sent them a letter of demand for their outstanding rent and deposit. Now I'm like a sitting duck for 20 days. They have threatened to become squatters on 2 occasions already. I am afraid that they will run my water bill up and not pay for next month's rent. Is it legal to install a water meter to recover costs for unpaid rental in the event that they do become squatters. Their lease says that water is included in their rental, but what if they don't pay rental. I do already have electricity meters.