Discussions relating to property rental

Rates and levies

David001
David001

2011/06/20
David001
David001
Hi everybody,

I am having trouble with the owner of a property. I would like to rent the property from him. Now he has informed me that I will be responsible to pay his levies when I move in. As it is the property is way overpriced. So now I must cover his bond, levies, and the water& electricity. At the end of the day I will be paying R8500-00 for a 2 bedroom townhouse. Is he allowed to expect me to pay his levies? As far as I know he is not allowed to charge me that.

Please help!
JLRDP
JLRDP

2011/06/21
JLRDP
JLRDP
In terms of the National Rental Housing Act the landlord is liable to pay the levy. Contact the Gauteng Housing Tribunal for assistance. They have the same legal standing as the Magistrates Court.
Capetown
Capetown

2011/07/02
Capetown
Capetown
JLRDP - where does it say that the owner must pay the levy in the Act?
Tiaan Schutte
Tiaan Schutte

2011/08/12
Tiaan Schutte
Tiaan Schutte
The act stipulates that the Lessee is not to be charged the Levy or Rates, but the owner can ask that the tenant pay these accounts on his behalf, thus the tenant simply subtract that from the rent, the tenant can/ will be liable for the utilities on the account depending if rented inclusive or exclusive utilities.
Tiaan Schutte
Tiaan Schutte

2011/08/12
Tiaan Schutte
Tiaan Schutte
The act stipulates that the Lessee is not to be charged the Levy or Rates, but the owner can ask that the tenant pay these accounts on his behalf, thus the tenant simply subtract that from the rent, the tenant can/ will be liable for the utilities on the account depending if rented inclusive or exclusive utilities.
Marc Lunau
Marc Lunau

2011/08/18
Marc Lunau
Marc Lunau
I would say the owner can ask for any asking rental. If you accept and sign the lease with all its conditions you pay what was agreed, not more and not less. The owner can then chose to pay what ever he wants with the rental income. Also have a good look what was advertised e.g. R8000 rent excl rates, services, levies etc? In that case it would be R8000 plus costs. f you feel it all too much and overpriced you simply do not rent it.

--
Global Property Investor and Property Manager with value add solutions

www.houses4rent.co.za
AC_ALVES
AC_ALVES

25 days ago
AC_ALVES
AC_ALVES
GAUTENG RENTAL HOUSING TRIBUNAL
FAQ: http://www.gauteng.gov.za/government/departments/human-settlements/Gauteng%20Rental%20Tribunal/FAQ%20RENTAL%20HOUSING%20TRIBUNAL.pdf

Q: I have signed a lease agreement which says I am liable for levies and later I discover that I should not pay levies can I open a case?

A: Yes, a person is entitled to open a case with the Tribunal if there is an unfair practice even if you have already signed your lease agreement.
edited by AC_ALVES on 2019/01/25